Bayko Building set containing instruction book and assorted bricks, window frames, roof sections and metal rods for constructing a house.
This construction set system was developed by Charles Plimpton in the 1930s. It uses bakelite, one of the early plastics. Bayko combines the engineering aspects of Meccano with architectural principles of earlier building bricks. Made in red and white the set came with bricks, window and door frames, roof tiles, pillars, arches and other pieces necessary for building miniature houses and other buildings. Each piece had vertical holes through which thin metal rods could be passed and which attached the model to the base.
Bayko was popular and exported widely. It was taken over in 1959 by Meccano, who marketed it as Meccano Bayko. Under this branding it continued to be manufactered until 1967. By that time Meccano itself had been sold to Lines Brothers, and cheaper alternatives such as Lego were available.